Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fabric box

I tried a little DIY ( Do it yourself) project today. I made a fabric box out of fabric and cardboard. The result was ok. It took me about three hours to make. I am not the most precise cutter so it turned out a bit lopsided. My friend Mary Austin and I used a tutorial for a sewing machine cover and then converted it into a box by putting cardboard in it. It wasn't an epic fail or a pintrosity but I don't know if I will do it again.




 I found a fabric box at Dollarama for a $1.25 so if I was making these to sell at Dollarama (which I wouldn't of course) I would have made .40 cents an hour today. I need twenty of these boxes for my IKEA shelving unit for storage. I don't know if I want to spend 60 hours making these or $25 bucks.

Most times I like to make things myself or repurpose things into something new. But this may be one of those times I head to the Dollar store. The Dollar store isn't my first choice because I don't know what I think about the ethics of it. But at the same time I have found some really cool things at the dollar store.

No comments:

Post a Comment