Saturday, March 9, 2013

Needle Felted Northern Lights


Awhile back my aunt asked me to make her another Needle Felted picture. I had this idea of making Northern Lights out of felt roving. So of course I tried it and this is what I came up with. It is a more abstract version of Northern Lights but I like it.

Roving is the wool that has been dyed but hasn't been spun yet. So I have these special needles that punch the roving into the flat piece of felt so that it merges together. I bought everything for the project when I was in Jordan with my sister in laws for our weekend last November. 


I love how it looks when you take a picture of it or put it behind glass. At first you don't know what you are looking at. It's hard to figure out that it is fiber and not another medium like pastel. 


The white flecks are from the color of the wool felt in the background. I should make note of that. You can only needle felt with wool. It doesn't work with synthetic felt because of the difference in fibers. I find it a bit hard to find. My local yarn shop only carries wool roving and not the felt. So when I found what I has looking for in Jordan I was very excited.



No comments:

Post a Comment